Mr Makrides has proudly celebrated being part of the team at Spire Little Aston Hospital, who have achieved 500 Mako Robotic Assisted Joint Replacements!
Mako allows your surgeon to create a 3D virtual model of your hip or knee’s unique anatomy so he can follow your unique personalised plan during surgery.During surgery, the robotic arm guides the surgeon within a pre-defined area using real-time tracking feedback which can adjust for very small movements. This makes it extremely precise and accurate when putting the implant in.
Advantages of the Mako robotic arm are:
- Can be used for partial or total hip and knee replacements
- Helps create a personalised surgical plan
- 2-3 times more accurate joint replacement than manual replacement
- Produces minimal blood loss and a smaller scar
- Helps preserve healthy bone and soft tissue
- Results in less post-operative pain than manual techniques
- Provides a quicker recovery and shorter hospital stay
What is recovery like?
Recovery is much quicker than traditional hip and knee replacements. You will have a personalised physiotherapy plan and may be able to walk just hours after your surgery, and return to your everyday activities in 1-4 weeks.
How do I book a consultation?
You can book either a face to face or virtual consultation with Mr Makrides by contacting his secretary. You can find her details here.Appointments are available via private medical insurance or paying for yourself. Click here for the most up to date self funding fees, and here for private medical insurance information.